Sunday, September 10, 2006

Coocoo for Tampopo Puffs

Less than a block from my house is the oft-crowded Tampopo, a little teriyaki hut that typically releases fantastic smells. Having never been, I avoided the temptation of Five Guys to try the rice bowls at Tampopo. Basically, Tampopo makes about 6 different types of meat (breaded, grilled, and spicy chicken, beef), some fish, and some vegetarian options. You then pick between rice bowl and bento box, and you enjoy. Some sushi is available.

The place is quite clean and the staff very cheery. Many people were eating in, despite everything pointing to a focus on takeout (cash register at the counter, disposable bowls). Prices are reasonable, in the $5-8 range.

I ordered Bi Bim Bop with beef, a classic Korean dish consisting of rice, steamed veggies, egg, and meat. This used to be my favorite dish at the old "Korean and Japanese Food Truck" on 38th and Walnut, now known as KoJa (the quality, in my opinion, suffered greatly when the new owners took over), and since they removed it from the menu, I've been pressed to find the dish for under $10. I paid $7.44 at Tampopo.

My food arrives and I mix in the hot oil (to me, much more palatable than the usual korean sauces, which are way too hot for my taste). The egg was missing from the dish, and the meat was not exactly plentiful. Additionally, the veggies were soggy (I like some crunchier bean sprouts in mine). Tasting the dish, the rice was well cooked and the meat was very flavorful. For the most part, I enjoyed the dish, yet it lacked the depth of a "traditional" bi bim bop. I put traditional in quotes because I'm not Korean, I've never been to Korea, and I'm basing this solely on the sum of my experiences with Korean foods at different restaurants.

So in general, I need to try this place again, but I thought it was a mediocre attempt. Based on the crowds, I'm expecting better than what I got. Readers, weigh in...

1 comment:

aspieteach said...

My issue with their bibimbap is that the ratio of rice to vegetables is wrong. There needs to be more rice! That's why I've stopped ordering that dish there. However, I do enjoy their bento boxes once in a while because they provide variety. If you really want your vegetables raw in bibimbap, maybe you should try Giwa, at 16th and Sansom. I don't know why their spinach is uncooked, but their vegetables are RAW.