Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bibou

1009 S. Eighth St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

My buddy and I somehow got in for a 9PM reservation to enjoy their 4 course Sunday, $45 menu.

We started with a hearty, rich lentil based soup with small chunks of veal in the stock. What was so memorable about this soup was that it was incredibly thick, rich, and smooth, with the soup almost coating the spoon -- a delicious way to start the meal.

Second course was a choice between escargot, oxtail terrine, and foie gras. They had just run out of the oxtail, which worked out well as my friend wanted the escargot and I the foie gras. The escargot sat perfectly cooked with lima beans in a rich, salty sauce. My friend commented that it was the single best escargot presentation he's ever had. For me, I've never had better foie gras either. Buttery and soft, yet crispy on the outside, this paired incredibly with the kumquats and a small piece of syrupy bread.

For mains, the choices were a pigs feet braise, scallops, hangar steak, or a branzino fillet special. I chose the branzino, perfectly seared over well cooked veggies. Very light yet very flavorful. My friend went with the hangar steak, which was cooked medium rare. The highlight, however, was the asparagus and hashbrown mix served as a side. This is classical french cooking at its best.

Dessert was a choice of cranberry pie, creme brulee (sold out), chocolate roll, or ice cream and sorbet. My friend went with the ice cream and sorbet -- a scoop of slightly too sweet raspberry sorbet and a scoop of light and delicate pistachio ice cream. I went with the chocolate roll, which intertwined layers of soft white cake with perfect chocolate mousse. A garnish of whipped cream and a few berries completed a great dessert. I wasn't expecting a lot out of dessert here -- as a small byo, they don't have a pastry chef that I'm aware of -- but it was very well executed.

Service was professional if a bit rushed. Charlotte, the co-owner, makes sure to stop by every table and greet customers -- her charm is only overshadowed by her husband's cooking. A great meal, and truly lived up to the hype!

No comments: